Thursday, March 10, 2011

Top five reasons why I don't use Chrome

As an opensource enthusiast, I love the Chromium project but there are things that keep me away from using Chromium-based web browsers for everyday browsing needs.

Reason #0: Font rendering is ugly
Google Chrome and Chromium (or Chrome for short) do not respect the desktop environment settings for font rendering. They use their own wrapping of freetype to produce a bad kerning and anti-aliasing result. This is not a problem of Webkit since other browsers including Midori do a very good job while using the same core as Chrome.

Google, don't tell me that I do not need to read texts when browsing the web.

Reason #1: Stupid cropping of titles in the tab bar
Chrome failed to render itself as a browser with excellent usability as claimed. By default, Chrome shows the page titles only in the tab for each page. The page titles seem to be always cropped and it's getting really hard for me to read the page title.

Google as a search giant knows very well how important a page title is but with Chrome they imply that "It's not any important, dude. Trust me. You don't want to read it."

Reason #2: No built-in tree-based XML view
I'm a programmer and it's my everyday need to inspect XML resources. Chrome claimed to be a developer-friendly browser but viewing XML files with it is funny.

Reason #3: I hardly see to where a bottom-left link points
For many cases, hovering over a link located a the bottom-left corner of the browser window hides the status bar which is displaying the target URL. This forces me to make a scroll-up to see the link location.

Reason #4: It should be named Chrashium
Yes, it crashes frequently on my desktop regardless it is a Google official build or a Chromium build.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there, quick question now that I see you posting again. Any chance that Pen gets updated for Firefox 4.0? Thanks!!!

Jo said...

ad reason #3: in that case the link target gets displayed in the bottom right of the screen

ad reason #4: try switching to the beta channel

Unknown said...

I second Jose, in asking you about making Pencil Firefox 4 compatible. It's such a beautiful and useful extension, it's a pity that it's not available for the latest release.

Thank you for sharing your work.

Unknown said...

hi Thanh An,

I'm Stewart from thewebulous, Malaysia. I've been using Pencil for some time and would like to say that it's freaking awesome.

I'm currently in Saigon now and would love to meet with you and see how we can work together. Will be leaving this Tuesday. Going to Bob Dylan today.

Do email me when you are available. stewartchen@gmail.com

Sorry to contact you this way as i can't seem to find your contact online.

Thanks
Stewart
http://my.linkedin.com/in/stewartchen

Unknown said...

Hi,

For the #4 point, if Chrome can't display the link @ bottom left corner, it would display @ bottom right.

Btw, Pencil is a great product that you have created.

Unknown said...

Thank you for creating such an awesome product